There are a number of reasons why gems will sell very well coming straight from ArenaNet. The biggest reason is that people are inherently lazy and if they have the option to spend money over actually farming in the game they're more than likely going to do that. At least a certain amount of people are this way – not everybody. From a gold making standpoint gems really are a gold mine and for many reasons. Here are the reasons why I think they are:
- Bag Slots. Bag slots are something that everybody is going to want to upgrade on their characters. Since bag expansions are purchased from the gems shop and people are always leveling alternate characters this is going to be a very viable option for a very long time.
- Account Services. Many of the account services items are also purchase from the gems shop. If you wanted to switch servers or change your character's name you bring much need to go to the gems shop and purchase that feature. This is a very common thing in all MMO's. I personally have switched servers on my main WOW character over four times in the course of me playing the game. Not everyone is doing this, but enough people are that it will keep gems selling for a long time.
- Booster Packs. Remember when I said that players are inherently lazy? It is because of this that people are going to buy a lot of booster packs as well. What booster packs do is essentially just save people time by giving them bonus XP for killing mobs or extra karma for participating in events which reward it. Karma is also a great way to save gold while leveling which is something that I'll get into in tomorrow's post.
- Vanity Items. I don't know if you're new to MMO's or not but vanity items sell insanely well in just about all of them. One of the items that even I have been attracted to since I saw the games gems shop were the aviator sunglasses. Not every vanity item in the gems shop is going to be your cup of tea but pretty much everybody's got something in there that they can enjoy. ArenaNet has done a really good job with putting a variety of different things on the gems shop. They have boxing gloves for gods sake!
- Mini's. Minis are essentially mini pets if you're coming from World of Warcraft. If you are coming from World of Warcraft I don't have to tell you that pets are insanely popular and people are willing to pay out the ears to get a certain one. People will be purchasing many pet packs from the gems store for 300 gems a pop. Since gold can be traded for gems a lot of people are just going to go that route, but gems are still being purchased nonetheless. It really doesn't matter how you sell them the point is that you did sell them.
Those are five of the most interesting reasons why I think the gems are going to sell very well for the entire duration that Guild Wars 2 is online. There are going to be many more than what you see here so if you have any that you think are important please leave a comment on this post. I would love to hear more input from all of you on the subject!
Did you enjoy this post? Show your support by sharing it with your friends on your favorite social media site!